Ionosphere-Atmosphere Coordination Workshop – 3rd October 2014, UCAR, Boulder, US
The Space Weather Sub-group of the International Radio Occultation Working Group (IROWG) convened an Ionosphere-Atmosphere Coordination Workshop to discuss aspects of Radio-Occultation analysis involving the ionosphere. The workshop included ionospheric space weather experts and scientists concerned with removing ionospheric effects from Radio Occultation for neutral atmospheric parameters. The World Meteorological Organization has recommended addressing ionosphere and neutral atmosphere issues in a synergetic way in order to help optimize the radio-occultation constellation. The workshop ran on Friday, October 3, 2014, after the Eighth FORMOSAT-3/COSMIC Data Users’ Workshop.
- Increase synergy between ionosphere and neutral atmosphere use of GNSS.
- Increase scientific interaction between the two communities.
- Further the goal of dual-use of GNSS sensors: atmosphere and ionosphere.
- Make progress on issues related to data formats and future missions.
The annotated agenda is available here.
Workshop Agenda (including presentation if available)
9:00 – 9:10 Welcome from Jerome Lafeuille, WMO (remote)
9:10–9:20 Workshop Goals
Radio occultation retrieval processing for ionospheric scientists, William Schreiner, UCAR
- Ionosphere 101, for atmospheric scientists, including ionospheric models as tools for the RO community, Geoff Crowley, ASTRA Associates
How the ionosphere affects atmospheric retrievals and uses in NWP, Sean Healy, ECMWF
11:20-12:20 Scientific Presentations
Lower‐upper atmosphere coupling, Nick Pedatella
Data assimilation in the ionosphere, Tomoko Matsuo
Second order ionospheric effects, Xinan Yue
Development of a 2DVAR for combined retrieval of Ionosphere and Atmosphere, A NASA-funded Project, Tae‐Kwan Wee
16:00 Reconvene/Summarize/Action Items
The Organizing Committee
- Tony Mannucci, NASA/JPL – Anthony.J.Mannucci@jpl.nasa.gov
- Jérôme Lafeuille, WM- JLafeuille@wmo.int
- Norbert Jakowski, DLR – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geoff Crowley, ASTRA – email@example.com
- Bill Schreiner, UCAR – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terrance Onsager, NOAA/SWPC – email@example.com
- Paul Straus, Aerospace Corporation – Paul.R.Straus@aero.org